One Year On, Govt Sees No Progress in US-Taliban Deal

AT News

KABUL: The Taliban militants have threatened to launch an “unprecedented war” in Afghanistan if the United States doesn’t withdraw its soldiers agreed last year in a peace deal Washington signed with the Taliban.

The deal that was signed by then president Donald Trump on February 28, 2020, is now thought to be reviewed by his successor Joe Biden who accuses the insurgent group of violating parts of the deal such as not cutting ties with international terrorist groups like al-Qaeda, reducing violence and holding peace negotiations with Ghani administration.

Anas Haqqani, a senior member of the militants who is also member of the group’s negotiating team, warned Sunday of “an unprecedented war” in case the United States intended to maintain military presence in the war-ravaged country.

“We hold technology for using drones and are armed with sophisticated rockets,” said Haqqani, son of Jalaluddin Haqqani, founder of Haqqani terrorist network.  He claimed that this time Taliban would display a war never seen in the past.

“The US and NATO warnings over continuing presence do not matter for us. We started the war with very few military sources 15 years ago, but we have lots of arms with modern technology, drones and rockets today,” Haqqani said.

Anas was in Afghanistan custody for several years and was released in 2019 in a prisoner swap with two American University lecturers kept by the militants and as the pressures from Washington.

 

One Year On, Govt Sees No Progress in US-Taliban Deal